Stoppage Time – International Football Blog

Oceania: AS Tefana shock Kiwis; Champions League Review

Posted in Oceania Football by peterbein on February 5, 2011

OFC Champions League logoThe Oceania Champions League has resumed action with three matches taking place this weekend, one less than scheduled due to the postponement of the game featuring AS Magenta and Auckland City due to the former’s stadium being deemed unsuitable to play the game. Despite this there was still plenty of action and goals on Matchday 4 of Oceania’s elite football competition.

Group B saw a shock as AS Tefana, representing French Polynesia, defeated two-time winners Waitakere United by three goals to one to leave the group wide open. Lorenzo and Alvin Tehau provided AS Tefana with their opening two goals by the half hour mark but the New Zealanders fought back with a goal in first half stoppage time, Allan Pearce slotting the ball home from the penalty spot. Any expected fightbacks by the Auckland-based side didn’t materialize as AS Tefana secured the three points in second half stoppage time thanks to Axel Williams. Auckland City still remain top after three games played with five points, the same number as Waitakere United who have played one game more. AS Tefana’s first victory of the campaign has taken them into third place on four points but AS Magenta, who also have four points, have that postponed game in hand.

Group A proved to be a goal-fest with thirteen strikes being scored in two games this weekend. The big winners this weekend were Solomon Islands representatives Koloale FC who put six goals past their Fijian hosts Lautoka FC. The home side actually took the lead after 10 minutes through Valerio Nawatu but the visitors took charge from that point with Jeffrey Bule, George Suri and Benjamin Tatori getting on the score sheet to make it 3-1 at the half-time break. The second half saw Koloale FC score another three times, Ezra Sale making it 4-1 on 52 minutes before Solomon Islands international Tatori claimed a hat-trick with further strikes in the 62nd and 77th minutes.

A more even game was fought in Vanuatu as defending champions Hekari United were fortunate to claim a point from their hosts Amicale FC after both teams shared six goals between them. Alick Maemae scored the only goal in a tight first half six minutes before the interval from the penalty spot but after the break the floodgates well and truly opened. Amicale FC doubled their lead through Dereck Malas before Osea Veketalesau pulled one back just before the hour mark. Fenedy Masauvakolo looked to have given the hosts victory, making the game 3-1 with just sixteen minutes remaining. But there would be a grandstand finish as Hekari United managed to reduce the deficit to 3-2 with three minutes of normal time remaining thanks to Veketalesau’s second strike of the game. Four minutes into stoppage time Malakai Tiwa secured the point for the Papua New Guinea champions leaving host side Amicale FC thinking of what might’ve been after an amazing game had finished 3-3.

With each team in Group A having played four games each Amicale FC and Lautoka FC both have seven points and must face each other in Vanuatu in three weeks time. Champions Hekari United have five points and must face another tough away trip to Solomon Islands to play bottom team Koloale FC (four points) with both teams knowing that anything less than victory will end their hopes of qualifying for the 2010-11 OFC Champions League final.

Tagged with:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: